[Infographic] Waiting at the airport? What are you most likely to do?
By using location-based mobile tracking, AdNear studied behaviour of travellers across key airports in India; found Mumbaikars are hooked to their phones. No surprises there!By Terence Ng 02 May, 2014
What do people do when waiting for their flights? Where in the past travellers would read a book or make conversation with fellow passengers, the advent of mobile technology has seen many of them buried in their phones and tablets, doing work, playing games, or simply browsing the web.
Using audience location technology, Big Data company AdNear has gathered data pertaining to Indian travellers, tracking mobile usage in India’s busiest airports. The data, as well as inferred insights, serve to highlight the impact analytics can have on advertisers looking to target distinct profiles of mobile users in specific locations.
Over three months spanning January 2014 to March 2014, the company tracked the profiles and mobile behaviour of over 650,000 India-based users, comprising professionals, the affluent, students and homemakers across six key airports in India – Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Hyderabad.
Among the insights gleaned are:
- Travellers in Mumbai are more active on their devices compared to their counterparts, being 14 per cent more engaged compared to the average time spent on mobile phones of 1.61 hours per user.
- Professionals were found to spend the most time on their phones at airports at an average of 2.2 hours. Followed by homemakers at an average of two hours.
- Thursday was not only the most preferred day of travel for homemakers and students, but also saw the highest mobile engagement across all audience segments.
- Evening flights were most popular for travellers across all six airports, with 27.8 per cent of travellers tracked in airports between 7 PM to midnight, while 26 per cent of travellers were present between 3 PM to 7 PM.
- Early morning flights were least popular, with only 8.7 per cent of travellers present during that time period.
For more information, check out the full infographic below, and click on it for full view:
AdNear Singapore AdNear is the leading location intelligence platform that leverages location and context to power data driven marketing for advertisers. Latest funding: Not specified Investors: Not specified