[Singapore] NUS-SMRT Commuthon
NUS-SMRT Commuthon – Singapore’s first ever commuter experience hackathonBy e27 Editorial Staff 18 Aug, 2014
Calling all entrepreneurs, developers and change-makers! From 29-31 August 2014, NUS Enterprise and SMRT will be organising Singapore’s first commuter experience hackathon.
Participants of the NUS-SMRT Commuthon will be tasked to develop solutions that create a more positive travel experience through innovation and technology. Their solutions can fall under five categories – Trains, Buses, Taxis, Commercial and Open with details as follows:
• Trains – Encourage positive commuter behaviour, through smart decision-making applications that result in effective crowd distribution and better commuter flow.
• Buses – Position Bukit Batok and Chua Chu Kang Interchanges as smart interchanges of the future, with better information accessibility and innovative & commuter-centric services.
• Taxis – Enhance commuter travel experience during peak hours, through solutions that provide supply and demand matching to improve real-time taxi availability.
• Commercial – Improve service quality for commuters through effective tenant communications. Solutions can also be developed to exceed commuters’ commercial appetite through effective out-of-home and digital advertising.
• Open – This covers cross-functional solutions or solutions not specific to the earlier 4 categories. It can also involve solutions with Corporate Social Responsibility elements.
Participants are invited to code during the 48 hour hackathon, to develop a prototype that solves these problems. The best solutions will win $500, for each of the five categories. Other prizes will include limited edition Train trophies, and incubation support from NUS Enterprise, to help bring solutions closer to market.
In addition, winning ideas may be eligible for funding of up to a total of $120,000. Sponsored by SMRT, this aims to help teams to turn their ideas to help commuters into reality.
To help prepare participants for the NUS-SMRT Commuthon, participants can attend an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour on 22 August. Participants will be taken around SMRT premises, and learn more about the insights, challenges and opportunities of the transport industry.
The NUS-SMRT Commuthon will commence at 4.00pm on Friday 29 August. NUS Enterprise and SMRT mentors will be on hand to help the teams and provide advice on how to make the perfect pitch. The Commuthon will end at 4.00pm on Sunday 31 August. All teams will pitch their projects to a panel of judges and the winners will be revealed at 5.00pm.
The NUS-SMRT Commuthon will be held at Plug-In@Blk71, which is managed by NUS Enterprise. Some 100-150 participants are expected.