Image credit: Square Enix
Say what you will about Square Enix and its past handling of its mothership Final Fantasy titles, but when it amend its past mistakes and even admit to steering in the wrong direction, it can definitely turn things around. The incredibly-revised Final Fantasy XIV mass multiplayer online RPG is proof of that.
While not at first place, the PS4 version of the MMO was at a respectable third place on the Media Create Sales chart for the week of April 14 to April 20 (via NeoGaf), selling 31,326 units. The game was previously out for PC last year and garnered critical acclaim for its mixture of old-school gameplay with current-gen design nuances. The fact that the developer was transparent about how the reboot was done helped cement and earn back the trust it lost with the original Final Fantasy XIV. Still, it’s safe to bet on a Final Fantasy title to at least crack the top ten charts; the real challenge is whether it can maintain its position.
Also Read: Japan’s trippiece launches English site for global adventure seekers
The real winner for the supposedly slow week was 3DS ghost-collecting RPG Yo-kai Watch, which sold 34,690 units. Given its past presence high in the charts a few weeks ago, it wouldn’t be a stretch that Level-5 may want to share the 3DS games in English localized format in the future. Just below it is the PS3 version of mecha-filled strategy title 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen which sold 31,724 units.
Also noteworthy and new to the list is the Phoenix Wright collection for the 3DS which compiles all three previous Ace Attorney games from the DS into one bundle. It sold 26,925 units on its debut week. This is a given, considering that this is one of Capcom’s meal ticket series in its country of origin.
Not much can be said about the hardware sold in the country, save for the fact that it took a slight dip in sales. The Nintendo 3DS was at 19,943 units, while the PlayStation Vita was at 19,038 units. Despite this, the mobile side of Japan will still remain on top unless a bigger current-gen game with some longevity enters the fray.
The top ten software list (Name, Console, Publisher, Sales Number)
1. Yo-kai Watch (3DS, Level-5) – 34,690
2. 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen (PS3, Bandai Namco Games) – 31,724
3. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn (PS4, Square Enix) – 31,326
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-2-3 Selection (3DS, Capcom) – 26,925
5. Mario Party: Island Tour (3DS, Nintendo) – 18,848
6. 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen (PS Vita, Bandai Namco Games) – 17,755
7. Style Savvy: Trendsetters – Tokimeki Up! (3DS, Nintendo) – 12,315
8. Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden 2# (PSP, Idea Factory) – 8,499
9. Detective Conan: Phantom Rhapsody (3DS, Bandai Namco Games) – 8,336
10. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3, Konami) – 8,018
3DS – 19,943
PS Vita – 19,038
PS4 – 14,396
PS3 – 6,468
Wii U – 5,204
PSP – 2,094
Xbox 360 – 240