More than 5,000 eyeballs were globally tuned-in globally to Taiwan Elevator Pitch 2018, in the first of its kind that aimed to help Taiwanese startups go global. Twelve outstanding startups — all of which have cleared the preliminaries and the semifinals — were present at the main event on 26th September to pitch their business to two investors in a 60-second elevator ride, followed by a three-minute presentation on stage to another two investors and a live audience in the iconic Taipei 101 skyscraper.
This event was also graced by distinguished guests, including:
- Lai Ching-Te, Premier, Republic of China;
- Cheng Cheng-Mount, Deputy Minister, National Development Council;
- Wu Ming-Ji, Director General, SME Administration, Ministry of Economic Affairs.
“By organizing this event, Taiwan Accelerator not only allows startup teams to connect with global investors and partners, but also to support their development and attract public awareness from all over the world. It is an excellent platform for international fundraising,” said Kevin Yu, Founder, Taiwan Accelerator. In resonance, Lai also added that he aims to support the growth of one Taiwanese startup to attain unicorn status within two years, and two more over the next six years.
After two hours of pitching, five startups emerged as winners and will be sponsored by Hong Kong Science Park to represent Taiwan at EPiC 2018. The top three startups are sponsored by e27 to attend e27 Academy 2018 — a 3D2N programme designed to empower aspiring entrepreneurs and early-stage tech startup founders with insights and connections to build and grow their businesses.
The 5 winning startups who emerged from Taiwan Elevator Pitch 2018 are as follows,
- Champion: Celaqua (New generation aquaculture technology)
- 1st Runner-up: JelloX (3D pathology imaging system)
- 2nd Runner-up: Guzip Biomarkers (Smart screening for endometrial cancer)
- Excellence Award: H.E.R.O. (Global earthquake early warning system)
- Excellence Award: FaceHeart (AI based driver monitoring technology)
The remaining 7 startups who also pitched at TEP2018 include Addweup, FlipWeb, FundersToken, INA Energy, Prometheus, Space4car and STAR BIT Innovation.
A recap of the event can be found on e27’s Facebook page.
Disclaimer: e27 is a Media Partner of Taiwan Elevator Pitch 2018