Reports have been circulating since Saturday that a Go-Jek driver had fallen victim of gun violence in a street corner near the startup’s offices in Kemang, South Jakarta, which one of them was attacked by an unidentified gunman last year.
However the Jakarta Police confirmed that the driver, identified as Reonaldo Agustin, was not shot as previously reported. Instead, he was struck in the head by the butt of a gun instead, leaving him with a head injury.
“He was hit in the head with [the handle of] a gun and the weapon went off. Had the victim been shot in the head, he would have died,” said Senior Commissioner Krishna Murti, Head of the Jakarta Police’s General Crime Unit, as reported by Jakarta Globe.
The incident began when Agustin was involved in an altercation with an unidentified man in North Kemang. He removed his helmet before being punched and hit with a gun, which later went off and left three bullet holes in a nearby wall.
Adjunct Senior Commissioner Audie Latuheru, Chief of South Jakarta Police General Crime Unit, stated that the police will conduct ballistic test at the police headquarter to determine the gun model, and find surveillance footage of the incident.
Also Read: Go-Jek is back on the road. Now what?
The second crime story involving a Go-Jek driver put him on the seat of the perpetrator itself, after allegedly sexually assaulted a young passenger after dropping her at the destination.
Go-Jek public relations manager Rindu Ragilia confirmed that the driver, identified as Irwan, had been fired. The company had also apologised to the victim and her family.
“We have communicated with the customer on Saturday, February 13, at our offices on Jalan Benda in Kemang, [South Jakarta], and we also studied [the report on] the incident. The driver has also confessed his wrongdoing,” said Ragilia.
“Let this case be a lesson and a warning to the other [GoJek] drivers that we do not tolerate such behavior and that perpetrators will be dealt with firmly,” she added.
Safety and security have long been a concern for ridesharing app users across the countries. In many incidents, companies often dismiss it by putting themselves in the position as tech solution provider, not as transportation companies who managed car and motorbike taxi drivers.
When Indonesia’s Ministry of Transportation banned ride-hailing services for 24-hour in 2015, Minister of Transportation Ignasius Jonan cited security and safety as major concerns and the reason behind the banning.